Discover Why Back Pain Is One Of The Top Reasons People See Chiropractors
Are you suffering one of the many different types of spinal or back pain? If so you will understand how important it is to seek specific back pin treatment with an appropriate health professional so you can get back to enjoying the good things in life. Chiropractors are fantastically placed to assist people suffering problems like back pain through accurate assessment, diagnosis and management. Our team of experienced Chiropractors at Vitality Chiropractor Australia have many years professional and clinical understanding dealing with these types of structural issues. You’re not alone when it comes to back pain, in fact it is estimated that nearly 8 out of every 10 people will suffer spinal problems and seek treatment during their lives. Over 50% of these cases will seek back pain treatment with a Chiropractor. Usual symptoms which you may be experiencing include a dull ache, muscle tightness, limited movement, referred pain through the gluteal area and legs, tingling, numbness and weakness.
COMMON CAUSES OF MECHANICAL BACK PAIN
Majority of us with suffer some form of back pain during our lives, whether it is minor, serious, acute or chronic. Following an episode of back pain it is estimated that half of all sufferers will again fall victim to back pain later in life – most likely due to inappropriate rehabilitation and prevention measures taken at the time of initial injury. Back pain can affect your quality of life in many ways, it can prevent you from being able to go to work, exercise, do the fun things that you usually enjoy and even get effective sleep.
Common causes of mechanical back pain include sciatica, myofascial tightness, arthritis, spinal misalignment, joint sprain, pelvic dysfunction, pregnancy-related factors, disc herniation/bulge, osteoporosis, scoliosis, postural abnormalities, muscle imbalance or physical injury.
HOW CAN A CHIROPRACTOR PROVIDE BACK PAIN TREATMENT?
While all Chiropractors are trained in the specific analysis and management of back pain problems, you may experience varying types of treatment techniques as not all practitioners are the same. Your chosen back pain Chiropractor will perform a thorough clinical examination to assess your posture, dynamic movement, strength, weakness as well as completely all necessary orthopaedic and neurological tests. This procedure will determine the extent of your problem and what the best treatment methods will be to assist resolution of your complaint.
WHAT OTHER BACK PAIN TREATMENT OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE?
There are many treatment techniques used to assist back pain sufferers, below please see just a handful of the major therapies.
Aside from neck pain and headaches, back pain would be the most commonly presenting condition in a Chiropractic clinic. There’s good reason for this as Chiropractors are specialists in musculoskeletal related problems and have spent many years intrinsically studying human anatomy. Chiropractors may use a range of treatment techniques that are best suited to your individual situation, some techniques that you may experience include:
- Spinal manipulation for back pain involves gently adjusting restricted joints to improve overall joint alignment, movement, flexibility and reduce pain
- Joint mobilisation is a more gentle therapy that is often used during acute phases of where or for those who dislike manual adjusting.
- Flexion-Distraction (traction therapy) is a particularly effective technique for lumbar disc problems, Scoliosis or as another form of joint mobilisation that involves gently stretching joints of the spine
- Postural & core exercises assist with correcting underlying muscular dysfunction
- Flexibility exercises are a fantastic tool for improving general flexibility and strength
Depending upon the exact cause of your back pain, certain myotherapy and remedial massage techniques may be necessary to assist healing and recovery. Practitioners are equipped with a variety of modalities such as effleurage, trigger point therapy, cupping, ischaemic compression and more designed to reduced muscle and soft tissue spasm and of course reduce pain.
In years gone by, doctors would regularly advise that rest was the best option to recover from back pain. Recently these recommendations have been changed and it is in fact considered that movement and returning to work sooner is the best manner in which to assist recovery. It is important to discuss specific exercises for your presenting situation with a qualified exercise provider before considering such activities.
If all other options have been exhausted and you have not responded to treatment, surgical intervention may be clinically indicated. Of course clinical risks exist with any procedure so be sure to discuss these with your doctor beforehand.
CHIROPRACTIC & BACK PAIN RESEARCH
- Chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy is particularly beneficial for chronic and severe back pain cases. Meade, T. W (1990). Low back pain of mechanical origin: a randomised comparison of Chiropractic and hospital outpatient treatment. BMJ, 300. 1431
- People who seek Chiropractic care as opposed to those who seek care with their family general practitioner are three times more likely to report higher satisfaction levels following management. Cherkin, D.C (1989). Patient evaluations of low back pain care from family physicians and Chiropractors. Western Journal of Medicine, 150(3); 351 – 355
- A combination of Chiropractic manipulative therapy and traditional medical care is more beneficial as opposed to traditional medical are only for lower back pain. Goetz, C. (2013). Adding Chiropractic manipulative therapy to standard medical care for patients with acute lower back pain: Results of a pragmatic randomized comparative effectiveness study. Spine, 38(8); 627 – 634