If you’re looking for a nutritional supplement or vitamin that may reduce or eliminate joint pain then its highly likely you have come across Glucosamine. While research is still not conclusive regarding its usage, many people report considerable improvements following a period of consumption.
Glucosamine is responsible for maintaining the health of cartilage which is a soft tissue that lines joint surfaces. As we age, its concentration reduces and therefore contributes to degeneration of cartilage and subsequently hinders the health of our joints. It is now estimated that one out of every five Australians regularly consume joint health supplements.
Interesting Facts Regarding Glucosamine
- It has been shown that Glucosamine sulfate and Chondroitin may be more effective when used in combination rather then when used alone. Therefore it is important to ensure that your supplement has adequate quantities of both.
- Individuals with early onset degenerative change tend to report greater improvements in overall pain and disability then individuals suffering advanced degernation
- Trials suggest intake of approximately 1500mg/day of Glucosamine and 800mg/day Chondroitin
- Individuals suffering seafood allergies are recommended to explore alternative treatments as products are derived from shellfish (most commonly)
- Individuals on blood thinning medication or diabetes control medications should be extremely vigilant when taking glucosamine combinatons
Are There Any Obvious Side Effects?
Overall these products appear to be extremely safe, however as always further research is needed. Potential side effects may range from stomach upset, heartburn, drowsiness and headaches.
Our Range Of Joint Health Products
At Vitality Chiropractic Australia we stock a range of therapeutic aids and supplementary items to assist not only your spinal but overall health and wellbeing. From heart health, energy, pregnancy and hormonal balance to muscle and joint vitamins we have it all. For individuals experiencing particular forms of joint pain we have Arnica Joint & Muscle cream, Glucosamine & Chondroitin capsules and Krill Oil combined with Vitamin D3 tablets. For more information regarding these items or joint pain relief, please call us today via 1300-003-777.