Hyaluronic acid has long been used throughout the beauty industry as a skin care product that keeps you looking vibrant and young. A little known additional benefit of hyaluronic acid is its ability to promote good joint health. Hyaluronic acid is a lubricating substance that assists with retaining collagen, moisture and soft tissue elasticity.
What Are Some Of The Lesser Known Benefits Of Hyaluronic Acid?
- Effectively treats sores, sunburn and improves wound healing recovery times
- Promote greater joint movement by increasing hyaline cartilage cushioning and is therefore suitable for individuals who experience degenerative joint problems such as Arthritis
- Can assist with symptoms of dry eyes and general eye discomfort
Hyaluronic Acid Background Information
The major advantage of hyaluronic acid is that it is a stronger water retainer in both skin, eyes and soft tissue. In particular focus for Chiropractors is which body parts contain high concentrations of hyaluronic acid which include tendons, joints, synovial fluid and skeletal tissues. Years of scientific research has shown us that it is critical for hydration, lubrication of joints, a space-filling capacity within tissue and between cells, building the framework through which cells migrate, repairing tissue and wounds, regulating inflammation, enhancing the immune response, repairing injury of fibroblasts, and maintaining skin’s cells.
So Is Hyaluronic Acid The Same As Glucosamine?
- Glucosamine also provides elasticity to soft tissue structres
- The main difference between hyaluronic acid and glucosamine is that HA is a more potent lubricator
- Hyaluronic acid is an important component of synovial fluid and articular cartilage whereas glucosamine works by synthesizing cartilage
Which one should you use for to improve your joint health? This unfortunately is not such a simple question to answer! Which one you should take is largely dependent upon your clinical presentation
How To Use Hyaluronic Acid
- In adults over the age of 18 it is recommended to consume 50mg and be taken by mouth one to two times daily with meals
- For individuals suffering degenerative spinal conditions such as Arthritis increased dosages of 80mg are suggested