Back Pain: Common Causes, Symptoms & Treatment Options. Do You Have A Question? Speak To A Therapist Today. Call (24/7): 1300-003-777.
Chiropractors are ideally placed to assist people suffering musculoskeletal problems like back pain. Chiropractors do this through comprehensive assessment, diagnosis and management. The experienced practitioners at Vitality Chiropractic Australia have many years of professional and clinical knowledge dealing with these types of problems. You’re not alone when it comes to back pain because it’s estimated that nearly 8 out of every 10 people will suffer spinal problems and seek treatment during their lives. Over 50% of these cases will seek Chiropractic treatment. Common symptoms which you may experience include dull aches, muscle tightness, limited movement, referred pain through the gluteal area and legs, tingling, numbness and weakness. While these symptoms are common it’s important to seek appropriate assessment in order to rule out more serious causes of lumbago.
Common Causes of Mechanical Back Injury
Majority of us with suffer from back pain during our lifetime. Following an episode of back pain it’s estimated that half of all sufferers will again fall victim to back pain later in life. This is most likely due to inappropriate rehabilitation and prevention measures taken at the time of initial injury. Injury can affect your quality of life. It can prevent you from being able to work, exercise, do the fun things that you usually enjoy and get effective sleep. Common causes of mechanical back pain include sciatica, myofascial tightness, arthritis, spinal misalignment, joint sprain, pelvic dysfunction, pregnancy-related factors, disc herniation/bulge, osteoporosis, scoliosis, postural abnormalities, muscle imbalance or physical injury.
What Happens During A Chiropractic Exam?
While all Chiropractors are trained in the specific analysis and management of back problems, you may experience varying types of treatment as not all practitioners are the same. Your Chiropractor will perform a thorough clinical examination to assess your posture, dynamic movement, strength, weakness as well as complete all necessary orthopaedic and neurological tests. These procedures should take no longer then 15 minutes & will determine the extent of your problem as well as the best treatment methods to assist resolving your complaint.
Chiropractors are specialists in musculoskeletal related problems and have spent many years intrinsically studying human anatomy. Chiropractors may use a range of treatment techniques that are best suited to your individual situation, some techniques that you may experience include:
- SPINAL MANIPULATION for back pain involves gently adjusting restricted joints to improve overall joint alignment, movement, flexibility and reduce pain
- JOINT MOBILISATION is a more gentle therapy that is often used during acute phases of where or for those who dislike manual adjusting.
- FLEXION DISTRACTION (TRACTION THERAPY) is a particularly effective technique for lumbar disc problems, Scoliosis or as another form of joint mobilisation that involves gently stretching joints of the spine
- Postural & core EXERCISES assist with correcting underlying muscular dysfunction
- Flexibility exercises are a fantastic tool for improving general flexibility and strength
Depending upon the exact cause of your problem certain Myotherapy and Remedial massage techniques may be necessary to assist healing and recovery. Practitioners are equipped with a variety of modalities such as effleurage, trigger point therapy, cupping, ischaemic compression and more designed to reduced muscle and soft tissue spasm and of course reduce pain.
In years gone by, doctors would regularly advise that rest was the best option to recover from these types of injuries. Recently these recommendations have been changed and it’s now considered that movement and returning to work sooner is the best manner in which to assist recovery. It’s important to discuss specific exercises for your presenting situation with a qualified exercise provider before considering such activities.
If all other options have been exhausted and you have not responded to treatment, surgical intervention may be clinically indicated. Of course clinical risks exist with any procedure so be sure to discuss these with your doctor beforehand.
Chiropractor Back Pain Research
- Chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy is particularly beneficial for chronic and severe back pain cases. Meade, T. W (1990). Low back pain of mechanical origin: a randomised comparison of Chiropractic and hospital outpatient treatment. BMJ, 300. 1431
- People who seek Chiropractic care as opposed to those who seek care with their family general practitioner are three times more likely to report higher satisfaction levels following management. Cherkin, D.C (1989). Patient evaluations of low back pain care from family physicians and Chiropractors. Western Journal of Medicine, 150(3); 351 – 355
- A combination of Chiropractic manipulative therapy and traditional medical care is more beneficial as opposed to traditional medical are only for lower back pain. Goetz, C. (2013). Adding Chiropractic manipulative therapy to standard medical care for patients with acute lower back pain: Results of a pragmatic randomized comparative effectiveness study. Spine, 38(8); 627 – 634